[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 09:47:56 CET 2010

On 6 March 2010 19:32, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
>> There is also simply a strategic reason for not using fpGUI:
>>
>> The GTK/Qt toolkits are tried and tested, because they a) Are used widely
>> since years.
>> b) have a larger development group.
>> compare this to fpGUI which is essentially a one-man show. If Graeme for
>> some reason drops out (gods forbid): bye-bye fpGUI.
>
> ACK. An fpGUI with *native* look&feel IMO runs into the same problems as any
> other multi-platform widgetset - hardly feasable and maintainable with
> evolving platforms and widgetsets.

Can you guys refrain from making this a LCL vs fpGUI discussion. That
was not my intent. My reason for this thread was my concern for the
Lazarus project only. I only use the Lazarus IDE, and even there I was
seeing issues that concerned me. Patches going unnoticed for long
periods, known serious bugs not being addressed etc.

Yes the IDE has improved tremendously (feature wise) in the last few
months, but it hasn't stabilized at all. This stability issue probably
goes down to the LCL layer too (I'm just guessing here). Currently
there is no stable version of Lazarus - this is my major concern.

As I mentioned, we currently maintain our own "stable" version of
Lazarus IDE, but this should come standard with the Lazarus project.
It should not be the job of the end-users to make there own stable
versions of the IDE.

  - Graeme -