[Lazarus] Is Lazarus project in a downward spiral?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Mon Mar 8 10:45:50 CET 2010

Graeme:

> I wouldn't know how using SVN - we use Git remember. Our method of
> getting a stable version would also probably not be appropriate for
> others. On a serious note, below is what we do, and I honestly can't
> see how this would be done in SVN.

I copy here a part of my own mail to Lazarus-dev list, sent last month after I
got subscribed there.
I followed instructions from "git-svn --help" (and hints you gave by e-mail)
and got the svn link working. After that it is almost a non-issue. The same
would be true for you. You get all the benefits of local git branches and
commits and all.
"git-svn dcommit" takes little longer than "git push" or "git pull" but is not
an issue either.

Maintaining a stable branch or version is challenging and needs much work but
that is another thing.

--------- mail to Lazarus-dev list --------

I didn't know any revision control work flow well. Now I have learned git and
configured the git-svn link for Lazarus SVN. My last commit was made using
git-svn and it worked without problems.
If there are problems then I will learn svn more but until now it looks
promising.
I have nothing against SVN but still wanted to learn Git because of the hype
and controversy around it. (And because I am a schoolboy again and want to
learn new things).
I must say I started to love its ability to split, join, delete and reorder
commits before making them public.

Now, this could be a lesson for anybody who wants the whole project to change
from SVN to git. You can easily use git with SVN repository and get all the
benefits of working with a local git repo.
Yes, that is my experience.

Regards,
Juha