[Lazarus] Code refused from Andreas Hausladen? Is this true?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu May 13 17:54:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

>> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
>> Yes, sure. I remember that some years ago it was claiming that Lazarus
>> developers were rude to him. But I searched the Lazarus mailling lists
>> archives and I found it to be a complete lie, which shows a total lack
>> of ethics by who claimed it.
>
> I don't know this special case but it sounded a bit familiar to me. I also
> found that some of the main contributors to Lazarus behave quite rude from
> time to time (maybe they don't even notice theirself anymore). Some behave
> like censors (not like moderators of a an open source platform), oppressing
> mails because they dislike them.

A mailing list is simply a mirror of human society.

We are all human, and sometimes people get tired of discussing or explaining
the same thing over and over again. This is not an excuse for being rude,
but it does explain partly why it sometimes happens.

Also, let us not forget that the teams are subject to a lot of
critique themselves, often not very subtly formulated. This can
get very tiring, and not all people handle this equally well.

They are all volunteers, and even volunteers need encouragement to
counter-balance the critique.

Being rude or oppressing mails is definitely not something which is planned
or institutional, or even condoned. If it happens anyway, other members of
the team usually point it out in private or through the team's own channels.

That's just 12 years of experience on the FPC/Lazarus mailing list alone,
and from what I've seen it happens on other mailing lists as well.

Michael.