[Lazarus] Suggestion: Remove GTK1 support from IDE and LCL.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat May 22 01:49:48 CEST 2010

Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:41:41 -0300
> Flávio Etrusco <flavio.etrusco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Of course it needs!
>>> Delphi is not the ultimate maximum perfection out there. I think GCC is a
>>> better target when competing about code generation features.
>>>
>>> Juha
>>>
>>> --
>> But gcc users aren't the target audience of FPC...
>
> Yes, they are.
> When talking about produced code, FPC is in the same league. Delphi is
> nothing in HPC.

I was trying to keep my phrasing neutral, but I think there are a couple
of significant points. The first is that gcc is generally bundled with
an OS distribution, if the OS can't run on <686 then it's obviously safe
to make the compiler assume >=686 as well. Hence FPC bundled with a
distro might also be different from the generic binary snapshot.

The second is that user expectations of FPC and Lazarus might differ:
somebody using a command-line compiler on an older system might tolerate
being told that he has to go back to 2.0.0 and run make a couple of
times, but somebody who simply wants a competent RAD IDE might not.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk