[Lazarus] clarification / Re: constant-highlight ? [Re: quick opinion poll / pascal highlighting "case"]

Vannus vannus at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:58:08 CEST 2010

> On the other some of the case statements I had to look at (and no, I did
> not write them myself) are less easy to detect, even though they use proper
> indent.
> But if:
> - a single block in the case, spans over 50 or more lines (multiply screen
> pages)
> - is already indented 4 or 5 levels at the start (so you can no longer tell
> how many levels that are by just looking at it, could be 8 space, could be
> 10)
> - has several nested if, or other blocks within it.
>
> [ don't start arguing, that then the code should be rewritten, => to
> rewrite the code one must read it first]
>
> then indent alone is almost useless to make out where a case-block starts.
> All you have is a ":" at the end of the label. not that easy to spot. (and
> if it's an else, all you have is a simcolon on the end of the previous line,
> that's a guaranteed one to overlook)
>

> wasn't pascal designed to make the good easy, and the less good less easy?
thats one of the things i like about it.
having the *option* to make awfull code more readable is good (required in
some cases) - but it shouldn't make proper code less readable.

yes, you must read the code to rewrite it - but if a programmer wrote code
that way for me, id have them stay back after 5pm and have it written
properly. (ok, not practical on open source!)

- V