[Lazarus] clarification / Re: constant-highlight ? [Re: quick opinion poll / pascal highlighting "case"]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 30 11:53:05 CEST 2010

On 29 May 2010 22:23, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Which can hardly be automized for any real class, having methods with
> argument lists, properties etc.

On the contrary, it can - and will be very easy. Simply insert a
single Tab character where you want things aligned. The ET enabled
editor will do the rest when you open the file for editing.

> Automatic indentation is okay, because it's reversible. But tables with
> columns are something for text processing systems with a specialized layout

Again, here is some of my other formatting style I use in my code.

1) Aligning the identifier in a class, irrespective if it is a
function, procedure, constructor etc.
   See untitled1.png.
2) Align the assignment characters so it forms a visual block.
   See untitled2.png
3) Not something I do often, but see it often in other developers
code. Align the types
   in a var declaration. See untitled3.png
4) If parameter lists are long or many, and align them to easier see
the different ones and
   what types they are. See untitled4.png

I can list many more examples, where ET can be very useful. All
alignment is done simply by pressing the Tab key once, ET does the
rest. All these are just with my coding style, so I can just imagine
other developers might even have there own examples.

Anyway, I'll try and implement ET in SynEdit at some point - seeing
that the SynEdit code has had some nice code clean-up recently.
Obviously everything added in Lazarus IDE is toggled via a environment
option, because you can never please everybody.

  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/