[Lazarus] fpweb for delphi?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sun May 30 18:10:45 CEST 2010

On 5/30/2010 06:33, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 02:30:19AM +0200, Dimitri Smits wrote:
> Java, silverlight.net on small hosting? Less than CGI?
>
> Ruby is even more an white elephant. NEver saw a commercial hoster offer
> RoR. (sure if I go to the Ruby site I find a few), but it is not THAT
> mainsteram.

plus it has its own problems and foibles... the first i ran headlong into was
which server to use... i use apache but RoR wants to use its own server... it
was ok while i dabbled with it during developing a few minor things to see how
it would go but i was unable to then move those apps to my apache server and get
them operational in a "deployed" environment...

the task i was looking at should easily be handled with a RAD environment...
heck, it was only hooking into a database with several tables linked by a couple
of "ID codes" (what i know of as a relational database) and a minor bit of math
on a few of the numbers... the worst part would be the handling of transactions
and inventory moving in and out... i couldn't even get started on it in RoR...
since i have a pascal background, a friend pointed me at Lazarus and FPC... i
still haven't gotten that app doshed up due to the various problems i ran into
with connecting to a database, trying to use the tabbed notebook (i like the
look and feel of it), and other sundry problems that a console only coder runs
into when attempting to move to a GUI environment... groking the OOP stuff isn't
that bad for me since i was exposed to it when it first appeared back in TP/BP 6
but it is still "new" to me since i stayed with purely procedural coding all
these years...

we won't even touch on whether or not to do a binary interface or a web
interface or both... i definitely don't want to be junking up the works with a
bunch of java, javascript, flash, sliverlight, or any of that other stuff that
enlarges the surface area that may be attacked and compromised... as a security
minded admin and coding geek, that's definitely something that i keep in mind
all the time... indeed, it is why i refuse to run any of the popular CMS' for
example... there's just too much that can and does go wrong...

additionally, i won't even mention that i've only been able to update to a newer
version of Laz/FPC twice since i first took a look at it... why? because there's
only been two releases since then... yes, i know why and i don't have a problem
with it... i'm just thankful that there's something available besides delphi and
that this something is cross-platform capable because that is very important...
but i also eagerly await the next release with all these bug fixes and new
features that i read about daily in this list...