[Lazarus] TGraphicControl and Wm_WindowPosChanged

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 07:34:19 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:41:23 +0300
> Max Vlasov <max.vlasov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I successfully ported one of my components and was very impressed with
> how
> > little I had to do in order for it to work. This was a TGraphicControl
> > descendant and a single change was changing catching Wm_WindowPosChanged
> > DoOnChangeBounds. Is this I should do always if I use graphic controls?
>
> Never say always and never say never.
> Yes, DoOnChangeBounds is one possibility, although it is called quite
> often.
> DoOnResize is called later, less often and only for size.
> DoSetBounds is like DoOnChangeBounds, but not called for ClientRect
> changes.

Mattias, thanks, I'm thinking about creating a unit that would introduce
"proxy" objects between vcl/lcl hierarchy and mine. They should handle such
minor differences using conditional defines.
btw, returning to surprises, when I tried to compile something new with the
same compiler, or something old with a new compiler, it was usual when I
didn't expect the compiler to stop, but it did. With Lazarus it was several
times different, when I expected it to stop compiling with an error, it did
not :) Great Job!

> > Not really a big deal, but just puzzling since it was the only "deal" :)
> >
> > Also, I tried to use lazarus on the same win7 machine with wubi-installed
> > ubuntu and using the same folder as for windows machine via host mount
> > point. It worked. The question is can I use it this way or I might lose
> > something for one of/both systems?
>
> Many do that.
> You have to be careful about using big letters in file
> names, as most Linux programs, including the IDE and FPC, work case
> sensitive under Linux.

It's interesting, thought about ntfs that don't like case-sensitivity by
default, found Windows Services For Unix (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX). The article
mentioned that one can enable case-sensitivity during the install. I suppose
it's not a sane action to do this (since many programs on windows expects
that the file systems are not case-sensitive), but just wondering whether it
could create linux-like experience for the developer inside the windows-side
lazarus or win lazarus is developed without this special configuration in
mind?

Max