[Lazarus] Free Pascal 2.4.2 released!

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 14 11:45:24 CET 2010

On 14.11.2010 00:06, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:45:39 +0100, Bo Berglund
> <bo.berglund at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>> You can install into that folder without problems. As said the two IDEs
>>> won't conflict with each other (except the file associations, but most
>>> applications have a similar problem ^^).
>>>

>> Thanks for the clarification!
>> I will go ahead and install fpc, then change the compiler location in
>> Lazarus and recompile it and go from there. :-)
>>
> OOPS!
> Forgot to ask:
> If I do this in the directory C:\Programs\lazarus:
> C:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2\bin\i386-win32\make.exe clean all
> will this recompile lazarus with the new fpc?
> Or do I need to make some changes elsewhere first?
> How is the new compiler specified for the rebuild?

When you do this in C:\Programs\lazarus the make utility will look for
fpc in %PATH%. Execute "fpc -i" in a console window and at the top of
the output you'll see the version number of the compiler. If you want to
use a different one you need to specify it to the make utility by
setting the "FPC" variable.

E.g.

C:\Programs\lazarus\>
C:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2\bin\i386-win32\make.exe clean all
FPC=Some\Other\Dir\With\fpc.exe

If you have used the installer for 2.4.2 the path
"C:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2\bin\i386-win32" should already be in
%PATH% (and thus you could also just use "make" without the path...).

You can also recompile the IDE from within the IDE if you want to.

Regards,
Sven