[Lazarus] Free Pascal 2.4.2 released!

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 14 22:22:38 CET 2010

On 14.11.2010 21:52, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I have inspected the environment variable path as follows (for
> readability I have replaced ; with CRLF so each path item will be on a
> separate line):

[snip]

Strange... can you please test the following:

* add a path to the user path and check whether a freshly started
command window contains that path
* add a path to the system path and check whether a freshly started
command window contains that path
* add one path to the user path and one to the system path and check
whether a freshly started command window contains one or both of the
paths (this is obviously only needed if one of the two preceding tests
is successful ^^)

>> As a side note: it seems that either make or Windows look for
>> executables in the directory where make is located. Thus when you use
>> the make in your 2.2.4 dir it uses the 2.2.4 compiler and if you use the
>> make in your 2.4.2 dir it will use the 2.4.2 compiler. This changes of
>> course if you explicitly specify a compiler using the FPC or PP variable
>> when calling make...
>
> Yes, I guess that would be the case if make.exe changes the current
> dir when it starts.
>
> But the strange thing in that case is that the lazaus makefile resides
> in the directory where I invoked the command so how does make find it
> if it changes the current dir?

I'm not talking about the Makefile... I'm talking about the make.exe. If
you look into the bin\i386-win32 directories, you'll see that it
contains other executables besides make and fpc. Those are found by the
make utility as well, so it might be that make compiled for Windows adds
its own directory to its own copy of PATH as well (it does not cd into
that directory!). And all tools (e.g. mkdir, cp, etc) that a makefile
uses by relative paths are found in that directory... and a "relative"
fpc is found there as well.

> I had a look at the makefile and searched for FPC and located a
> section where it goes to extensive lengths to find the FPC compiler!
>
> Anyways I repeated my compilation now with the extra FPC argument
> added (all on one line of course):
>
> C:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2\bin\i386-win32\make.exe clean all
> FPC=C:\Programs\lazarus\fpc\2.4.2\bin\i386-win32\fpc.exe
>
> At the end there was this error:
>
> Compiling lazconfigstorage.pas
> lresources.pp(5320,13) Error: Incompatible types: got "AnsiString"
> expected "Char"
> lresources.pp(5514) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module,
> stopping
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
>
> I guess I have to get the dev snapshot of lazarus sources to get
> around this?

Yes, seems so...

Regards,
Sven