[Lazarus] Free Pascal 2.4.2 released!

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:14:56 CET 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:22:38 +0100, Sven Barth
<pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 14.11.2010 21:52, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>> I have inspected the environment variable path as follows (for
>> readability I have replaced ; with CRLF so each path item will be on a
>> separate line):
>>
>[snip]
>
>Strange... can you please test the following:
>
>* add a path to the user path and check whether a freshly started
>command window contains that path
>* add a path to the system path and check whether a freshly started
>command window contains that path
>* add one path to the user path and one to the system path and check
>whether a freshly started command window contains one or both of the
>paths (this is obviously only needed if one of the two preceding tests
>is successful ^^)

Now at work where I have a Win7 PC I have made the same tests as I did
back home on the XP PC. I added one bogus path member to both User and
System path via Control Panel.
Results:

Win XP-Pro SP3:
+ New User path updated immediately in newly started cmd processes
- New System path is updated only after a system restart

Win7Pro X64:
+ New User path immediately available in a new cmd window
+ New System path is also immediately available

So I guess it is a legacy thing on XP....

Note though that applications reading the environment variable from
the registry rather than using the API will see the new system path
entry as soon as it has been saved in Control Panel.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden