[Lazarus] StringGrid performance problems

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:58:37 CET 2010

On Wednesday, 17. November 2010 08.23:22 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I then did a simple test to see what could be the cause of problems in the
> LCL app (and why it looks frozen). I created a stringgrid with exact
> dimensions, a single column. I then used a simple test method that
> generates log entries (8 million to be exact - did start small though).
> Each time a log is received, I do a BeginUpdate, add a new row to the grid,
> populate the first cell with a number, then call EndUpdate. Under fpGUI
> this test took 5 seconds to complete, MSEgui took 10 seconds (just for fun,
> I tied MSEgui too). LCL took.... well, I kill the app after 3 hours of 100%
> CPU load and still nothing being displayed. Thank goodness I have a quad
> core, so the 100% load on one core did not affect my day-to-day work.
You probably should give a little bit more information. ;-)
The thread is here:

My results with MSEgui:
I get the following results with AMD Athlon XP3000+, 1GB RAM: (2GB in mail was 
wrong information)
 1: Your testcase: 33.9s (this is the equivalent of your 10 seconds on my 
slower computer)
 2. Assigning a UnicodeString (no iconv calls): 16.9s
 3. No column index in loop: 16.3s
 4: Direct access to the column datalist: 3.54s
 5: Direct access to the data with allocating the memory once: 0.52s
With Unicode inttostr() I get 6.3s (trunk 4061):


More information about the Lazarus mailing list