[Lazarus] Lazarus and bigide

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 13:43:55 CEST 2010

Mattias Gärtner wrote:
> Zitat von Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk>:
>
>> I've got Lazarus installed on a number of systems, and in some cases
>> (when I last checked) I could only build the standard IDE- not the
>> bigide additions.
>
> What is the problem? Any error message?
> What system (os, lazarus, fpc version)?

I'd have to check, and I'd rather not get too embroiled in that today.
Working from memory, something like Linux on SPARC, 0.9.26, 2.2.4 and
problems with libc when when making with bigide.

>> If I want to move a project between development systems, some of which
>> might have bigide and others not, is best practice to avoid using
>> components which appear on the bigide pages of the palette (i.e. to
>> create objects at run time rather than at design time)?
>
> The bigide components are the most stable. There should be no problem to
> install them.

I'd be very happy to run a Lazarus make with bigide on the various Linux
systems (x86, SPARC, PPC and ARM) I've got here and report back, but I
suspect that that could uncover subsidiary issues that wouldn't be
entirely welcome :-/ It would also be fairly slow, since some of these
aren't exactly top specification.

Which is why, if there's any doubt at all, I'd far prefer to simply
avoid design-time initialisation of suspect components.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk