[Lazarus] Lazarus and bigide

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 17:19:13 CEST 2010

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>> I'd have to check, and I'd rather not get too embroiled in that today.
>> Working from memory, something like Linux on SPARC, 0.9.26, 2.2.4 and
>> problems with libc when when making with bigide.
>
> I'm not sure if bigide was properly tested on sparc.

:-)

>> I'd be very happy to run a Lazarus make with bigide on the various Linux
>> systems (x86, SPARC, PPC and ARM) I've got here and report back, but I
>> suspect that that could uncover subsidiary issues that wouldn't be
>> entirely welcome :-/ It would also be fairly slow, since some of these
>> aren't exactly top specification.
>
> As the lazarus developers have only spare access to sparc, arm and
> powerpc I beg you tell what runs and what not, so we can setup the right
> bigide package set for those platforms.

There's a Linux/SPARC system here which Vincent has used in the past.
I'm hoping at some point to have a Solaris system running as well, but
it would probably not be generally available due to power, noise and
heat issues.

Granted that SPARC is very much a minority platform these days, and
granted that the architecture's prospects are highly uncertain, but I
think that its endianness and alignment demands make is a useful target
to test against.

I'll start off a new thread in a few days summarising what does and what
doesn't work. Would you prefer I tested 0.9.28.3 or 0.9.29? Is 2.4.0 OK?

>> Which is why, if there's any doubt at all, I'd far prefer to simply
>> avoid design-time initialisation of suspect components.

The thing that I need fairly urgently is the PostgreSQL TPQConnection, I
think that for safety I'll rough something out on x86 Linux then do the
real thing portably avoiding that as a design-time component.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk