[Lazarus] tooltip debugger shows incorrect data

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Oct 13 14:43:27 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-10-13 13:42, Paul Ishenin het geskryf:
>> are open. We just need someone who will work on debugger support at
>> least 10-15 hours per week. Those parts of lazarus on which someone
>> constantly invest time (like source editor or codetools) are good (even
>> compared to commercial products).
>
> It's just amazing that everybody known that the debugger support in Lazarus
> and FPC absolutely sucks!

Why do you say "it sucks" ?
It works, kind of. It depends on your expectations. I successfully debug
applications. No, I don't expect useful info from the tooltips, so your
particular problem doesn't bother me.

The Delphi debugger "sucks" as well:

I can debug my application exactly once.
After that, the IDE just hangs on the second run. Never fails, 100%
reproducible. That bothers me more than the Lazarus tooltip failing in some cases.

I try to live with it, even though I payed many thousands of EUR for the
Delphi 7 license.

> Like the saying goes: "you get what you pay for".

This is always so. Open source works because developers have an itch, and
they scratch it. You have a different itch from the other developers.
Nobody will scratch your itch for you, unless they have the same itch.

> So please don't try and imply that I am one of those "leachers" that just
> use software and don't contribute.

No-one implies this. But there is no escaping the observation that
there is no-one who wants to maintain the debugger, and since the
developers are volunteers, they do what they want to do. One cannot
blame them for that.

Michael.