[Lazarus] Release schedule and policy

Paulo Costa paco at fe.up.pt
Mon Oct 25 15:10:17 CEST 2010

On 25/10/2010 11:13, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Releasing without enough testing also causes issues on it's own.
> 0.9.28 was released with a bug introduced a few days before the
> release, it was a crash at running a new project or something similar.
> Then 0.9.28.2 has to be release very shortly after that. Not very
> good, and clearly shows that we need more people responsible for doing
> testing of the basic functionality at least before releases.

That kind of reasoning leads to longer times between releases and
progressively becomes worse: You don't want to release because you want
more tests before but, as releasing become increasingly a greater
effort, you do it less often. Worse, the bigger delays between releases
worsen the creeping bugs that will surface when the release is exposed
to a different crowd.

If the actual release isn't a lot of effort, a botched release can be
solved by a new release and the bad one is quickly forgotten (if the new
one came up fast enough).

So a bad 0.9.28 is not a problem if a good 0.9.28.2 can appear a few day
latter.

Paulo Costa