[Lazarus] Release schedule and policy

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:56:44 CEST 2010

On 25/10/2010 11:51, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Op 2010-10-25 12:13, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho het geskryf:
>> Then 0.9.28.2 has to be release very shortly after that. Not very
>> good, and clearly shows that we need more people responsible for doing
>> testing of the basic functionality at least before releases.
>
> True, but realistically, Lazarus users tend to use released version more
> often that "development" versions like Trunk. Sad I know, but currently it
> seems like fact. So with saying that, it seems that released version get
> more attention and testing, so the importance of early and often
> maintenance releases (and even full releases) are greater. This should help
> address the "things are not being tested" in Trunk issue. Plus, having
> releases more often makes the project look like it is very active and fast
> paced - this is good PR.

That can be said about every software project, look at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1028235
for what the 'masta haxx0rz' think of the 'small people' that like to use old stable foo.

There is that (exaggerated) sense of instability using a 'development' branch - you
never know which part of the quilt are 'they' going to pull from under yourself,
and need to be aware of every corner case. It is exhausting and needs many resources, e.g. time.
And in constant-devel branch this will always be the case;

Lukasz