[Lazarus] fppkg and lazarus packages

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sat Sep 4 11:27:56 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 17:15 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 3 September 2010 11:12, Joost van der Sluis <joost at cnoc.nl> wrote:
> >
> > You'd better do the same as we did with lnet. Add a fpmake file to
> > tiOPF/fpGUI's repositories. If that works ok. (Check if fpmake archive
> > works, and if you can use that archive to install the package, without
> > any other resources) we can build and add it to the server.
>
> fpGUI now has a fully working fpmake.pp file with unit dependencies. I
> could successfully do a 'fpmake archive' ,  unpack in temp folder,
> 'fpmake build' & 'fpmake install' without problems.
>
> fpmake install did try and install to /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.4.3/units/..../fpgui
>
> which it didn't have write access, so i use -B parameter to redirect
> it to /opt/fpc-addons/ which worked fine.

That's why you should use fppkg, and not fpmake directly. (fppkg is in
this case only a wrapper, compiling fpmake when necessary and adding
default parameters from it's configuration file to fpmake)

With fppkg -v you can see how fppkg calls fpmake.

> I was just about to comment that it would be nice if we could see what
> version of the package we have installed, then I saw the fpunit.conf
> file which gives all the details, including a nice checksum. :-)
> Cool.

'fppkg list' scans for all those files and shows which versions are
installed.

> One small thing I did notice is the fpmake was not so happy with
> fpGUI's version numbering. I let fpmake.pp read the version number
> constant from the fpGUI src directory include file. fpGUI version
> format is:  '0.7.166.g010ab';

> What version number formats does fpmake support. eg: some projects use
> a date (v0.7-2010-09-03), others use r<subversion_commit>
> (v0.7.r43234) etc..

If uses the same algorithm as Fedora uses for all their packages. And
you can imagine how many different version-number-systems there are for
all those packages. ;)

In you care the version-number should be: 0.7.166-g010ab.

A subversion-version could be something like (see the lnet package)
x.y.z-rxxxx

Joost.