[Lazarus] Using Lazarus on Embedded Linux?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Sep 25 11:43:35 CEST 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I am new to this list and I would like to get advice on the capabilities of Lazarus.
> My background is 15 years of Delphi programming (almost all versions Delphi1 to BDS2006).
> For the upcoming project I want to keep using Pascal if possible rather than learn
> and get productive in Java....
>
> So:
>
> 1) Can I work in Windows or Ubuntu on the same project? I.e. are there differences
> in the IDE/compiler between the two work environments?

No. Linking is slightly slower on windows.

> We use CVS to handle the sourcecode so checking in/out will handle the line ending
> differences between Windows and Unix. But are there other caveats?

None to my knowledge.

> 2) Can I compile in either environment for a third runtime platform?

Yes, but not easily.

> I am especially looking for a GUI programming environment where the target system
> is Embedded Linux on ARM or Atom platform boards.

I recommend Lazarus on Ubuntu, cross-compile to arm. There is a FAQ available.

> 3) I need to access the serial communications channel from my programs, so what is
> the support available for RS232 communications in Lazarus/FPC?

There is the serial unit.

> The target is an embedded board that is intended to communicate with a data acquisition
> system via RS232 (38400 baud, binary proprietary protocol).
>
> 4) The programs planned will also need to produce graphic rendering of the data
> retrieved from the acquisition system, so what is the graphic capabilities of
> Lazarus/FPC on the Linux platform?

Virtually the same as at least Delphi 7.

> 5) Can data be stored on memory cards/hard disk on an embedded system?

If the card/disk is mounted, it is just like writing any other file.

Michael.