[Lazarus] Using Lazarus on Embedded Linux?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Sep 25 15:42:36 CEST 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:43:35 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>

>>> 1) Can I work in Windows or Ubuntu on the same project? I.e. are there differences
>>> in the IDE/compiler between the two work environments?
>>
>> No. Linking is slightly slower on windows.
>
> What I really wanted to know is if it is possible to work in Windows and still
> make the program run in both Windows and Linux. If that is not possible then
> the next way would be to develop in one side, check in the code, open the
> other side and update the code and finally load and compile on that other side.
> So for this to work there must be no differences between the code on Windows and on Linux...

If you don't use windows-isms, the code should compile as-is on all platforms.

Just stick to the provided cross-platform units and all should work out of the box.

If you do have code that is low level and os-dependent, put it in a single
unit, for easy porting.

>>> 2) Can I compile in either environment for a third runtime platform?
>>
>> Yes, but not easily.
>
> Where is it easier to compile for an embedded board? On Ubuntu maybe because there
> one is already in Linux???

Ubuntu because in my opinion it will be easier to set up a cross-compiling environment.
(all needed libraries for the embedded system must be present)

>>> I am especially looking for a GUI programming environment where the target system
>>> is Embedded Linux on ARM or Atom platform boards.
>>
>> I recommend Lazarus on Ubuntu, cross-compile to arm. There is a FAQ available.
>
> Almost answers the previous question!
>

>>> 3) I need to access the serial communications channel from my programs, so what is
>>> the support available for RS232 communications in Lazarus/FPC?
>>
>> There is the serial unit.
>
> Is it the same on Linux and Windows?

The interface is the same.

Michael.