[Lazarus] Project / Save Project As ... - expected behavior?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 09:53:42 CEST 2011

John Repucci schrieb:

> Is either of these procedures (move one file at a time or edit the lpi
> file) the way this should ideally work?
>
> I was expecting that Save Project As ... would allow me to clone the
> project so I could start a spin-off.   Would "Project / Publish
> Project do a clone?

For cloning etc. IMO the project directory should be moved or copied,
outside the IDE.

> Is there any reason I should not create an enhancement / feature
> request to change this behavior?

The feature (as is) supports to move or duplicate project files, e.g.
when you want multiple versions of the same project (package...). In
this case the file references in the project file have to be updated,
and this is what this feature does for the user. Similarly the project
file is updated when one of the project units is Save'd As.

Moving around entire projects, e.g. for backup purposes, does not
normally require changes to the project file, so that this can and
should be done outside the IDE.

DoDi