[Lazarus] The right way of installing FPC to use with Lazarus?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 20:42:41 CEST 2011

Fr0sT schrieb:
> Marcos, thanks for answering. Sorry I didn't mention OS - I use
> WinXP32 and also tried compiling for Winx64.
> I've read the page you mentioned already (haven't tried all the
> actions though) but I doubt that it will create needed source folders
> (but I'll test it anyway).
> But manual is still incomplete. Nothing is said about:
> - libgdb - where people could find it, what version to download?
> - gdb.exe to enable Lazarus bebugger - the same

That's why the preferred way of a (first) install is the complete
Lazarus install. Later on the installed FPC can be used to install
further copies (make install ...).

Since many (GNU/MinGW) tools are not built by FPC, it's up to you to
retrieve or create these binaries.

> - x64 compilation - when trying to compile for x64 (under x32 OS) I
> received error "no *.dll, *.ico, *.h in ....\binw64" - what's this and
> how can one deal with that? (I just copied stuff from binw32 folder
> but it's hardly a proper way)

AFAIK FPC defaults to 32 bit on Win64. Explicit configuration seems to
be required for building 64 bit stuff. It's highly recommended to
replace the default PATH entirely, so that no unwanted references to
e.g. 32 bit apps (fpc\...\bin) can occur. Eventually fpc.exe should be
removed or renamed, to prevent unwanted guesses about 32/64 bit
generation (use PP=... instead).

DoDi