[Lazarus] Delphi XE2 uses FPC, plus VCL just not portable

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 13:18:18 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> ">> no VCL in MACOS why?
>
> Several reasons. but first, we did start out building a VCL for
> Mac – but killed it because VCL is really designed for Windows."

Maybe they killed it because they are not competent enought to port
the VCL to other operating systems.

> This confirms my thoughts I have had for a long time. VCL is just too
> Windows centric and is NOT a good basis for cross-platform
> development.

You don't like it, don't use it. Lazarus itself proves that it is an
excelent cross-platform base, Lazarus in Mac OS X works great for me.

Plus, all apps in these pages are written in Lazarus and work fine in Mac OS X:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Free_Pascal_Application_Suite

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Application_Gallery

> The LCL experience under Mac OS X was terrible.

Strange, for me it works excelently.

> It doesn't look good or the same as "real" mac apps, doesn't behave the same
> etc... All Lazarus design goals of "native on each platform" is just
> not panning out. Sorry guys.

lol! You always claimed that looking native is irrelevant, so how can
you criticize Lazarus now for not being native enough?

Plus, Lazarus looks much more native and much more a Mac app then iTunes.

> There is hope though. Stop being so anal about "must be VCL compatible
> and nothing better". Stop cloning VCL and rather innovate. Come up
> with something better than VCL.

Why do you care about what we are doing? You don't use the LCL anyway.
Or do you want to drop fpgui and start using and developing the LCL if
it is more innovative?

Plus, LCL users are not stuck to the native controls, if you don't
like the native controls you can use a custom drawn version:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Custom_Drawn_Controls

That's what I call choice.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho