[Lazarus] Delphi XE2 uses FPC, plus VCL just not portable

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:22:09 CEST 2011

On 08/08/2011 04:10 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> OTOH it would be nice to use the Lazarus IDE with other libraries than
> LCL. Hard to do, though, since many IDE windows have to be overridden
> (OI, component palette, form designers, package installer...)

I use Lazarus IDE like that on a daily basis. Lazarus IDE + fpGUI
toolkit. F12 brings up the fpGUI Form Designer instead of the LCL one.
F1 brings up fpGUI's DocView instead of your web browser with online
help. etc.  By the way, I do the exact same with MSEide too, though the
keyboard shortcut options are not so plentiful in MSEide.

But then, from what I have seen, FireMonkey components are all
TComponent descendants, so it should be possible to use the existing LCL
designer to drop components on a form. The fancy stuff like the new
property editors will have to be coded manually in Lazarus IDE though.
FireMonkey uses a new namespace too, which neither FPC or Lazarus
supports, but at least you should (in theory) be able to build a basic form.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/