[Lazarus] Editor font height in IDE options

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Aug 8 18:25:39 CEST 2011

On 08/08/2011 17:16, cobines wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In the IDE there is a combobox where you can choose editor font
> height. Is it needed by anyone to set height not size? Normally in
> applications you set font size. I understand the difference between
> height and size. It may be confusing for someone who doesn't that they
> are two different ways of setting font size.
>
> At least on Windows and Linux/Gtk2,Qt you can choose size from the
> font dialog. After I choose a font with a font dialog the combobox
> text has a negative value, but in the combobox list there are positive
> values. It's not consistent.
> Either use always negative or always positive.
>
> I would be for removing the combobox altogether. I tried to find some
> information why it is there but I haven't found any.

Is that about ta un-needed drop-down, or about the inconsistency between
height and size.

In other words, if the drop-down was size (instead of height) would it
still be undesired?
IMHO it's a quicker way to adapt the font size, if one does not want to
change the font itself. Because if you want to see the preview, you have
to open the dialog, select the size, close the dialog with ok, so the
preview synedit shows the font size. (I did definetly use the drop down
to try each potential font, in different sizes, and see how it looks ,

The preview in the font dialog itself is not helpful imho.

---------
About the size/height inconsistency => that is known, there even is a
bug report.

To fix it, it needs to be analysed what is stored internally and in the
editoroptions.xml.

And be ensured that compatibility is kept too.