[Lazarus] RE : Console App Development

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:07:42 CEST 2011

Well, I think we're getting off the track here, since opening hundreds
of files isn't a realistic/important use-case, but anyway...

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 August 2011 19:14, Martin  wrote:
>> Well the start up speed could differ, as files could be opened and loaded in
>> parallel.
>
> Yes, this is what I was thinking too. Plus the GUI could be more
> "snappy" (updated quicker). As you stated, if I had to use the 400
> units example again, currently Lazarus would create 400 tabs and 400
> synedit instances, then only does the ide get chance to update the GUI
> for the current active tab. This is when I see the "blank" editor
> window for a few seconds while the tabs are being created - making the
> user experience much worse.
>
> Being multi-threaded, the GUI could update the active tab almost
> instantly, while the other threads create the extra tabs and synedit
> instances in parallel.

I don't think multi-threading is the desired approach. IMO ideally we
should have only one TSynEdit per window, and just switch "state" when
switching tabs.
Also, parsing should be delayed to until the editor (or the TODO
window, etc) is displayed.
BTW does anybody know how much memory gtk2 uses because of double-buffering?

-Flávio