[Lazarus] Documentation update (CHM building, lazutils)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 05:03:23 CET 2011

Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> As part of the 2.6.0 documentation effort, I regenerated the docs for FPC,
> and as usual I also try to build the LCL docs. I had to create some XMLs for
> non existing LCL units.

You're busy with Lazarus these days, too? :-)

I've just finished a first version of an documentation manager, which
can create documentation projects for RTL, FCL, and any Lazarus
packages. Main usage: quick creation of the final documentation, unit
skeletons and update of existing XML doc files.

Since it's so overly complicated to interface such an application with
the existing FPDoc tools (fpdoc, makeskel...), the next version will be
much closer to Lazarus packages, using heavily modified versions of the
fpc/utils/fpdoc/ units. The final project will become available in
lazarus examples/docmgr (not to confuse with "dockmanager", for use by
everybody :-)
[Recommendations for better directory/project names are welcome :-]

> I also commited a clenaed up version of the script I use to generate lcl.chm
> as "docs/html/build_lcl_chm.sh".

The documentation manager will eliminate the need for any scripts, in an
platform independent way :-)

> I noticed that the LCL is now dependent on other package(s). At least a
> package "lazutils". There seems to be some documentation in
> docs/html/lazutils but they are only moved former LCL documentation.

Right.

> What is the plan with this package? Is it a part of the LCL or really an
> optional component? The LCL docs refers to lazutf8 81 times. If it is just a
> matter of generating an extra CHM and set up the buildscripts for it, just
> say so and I'll do it.

Perhaps the LazUtils (etc.) documentation should be added to the LCL
package, like the LCLBase documentation is (the essential) part of that
package.

Note: documentation packages must not necessarily equal Lazarus (source)
packages!

> I also noticed some copies of the RTl docs in docs/xml/rtl but these don't
> seem to be diffs/additions but full copies (and now it is hard to find out
> what these actually change). Can these be removed?

Dunno, I also wonder when this (Unicode strings) change will be really
finished :-(

> Warning: Target ID of <link> in unit "LDockCtrl" is unknown: "#rtl.Classes.TComponent.Loaded"
> Warning: Target ID of <link> in unit "LDockCtrl" is unknown: "#rtl.Classes.TComponent.Notification"

IMO the LDock... stuff is so outdated, that it should be removed from
the repository. I also wonder when the trunk will allow for docking on
Windows again :-(

A happy new year to everybody :-)

DoDi