[Lazarus] LCL=Package changes issue

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Feb 10 11:55:50 CET 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Although the new LCL=package approach is a big step forward, I have the
> idea that all complaints about the old system, which you can find
> everywhere, are all addressed. But those parts that were useful for the
> power-users, who didn't complain, have become a little bit trickier.
>
> One thing, for example. I have a package installed which only compiles
> for gtk2. I use it to design forms (webpages, actually). Now I have an
> application that depends on this package because of other dependencies,
> but doesn't really use it. But I compile this application for the
> 'nogui' widgetset.
>
> Now the IDE detects a change in settings (as I understood it right), so
> recompiles all packages with the settings for the application. Which
> fails, because my package doesn't compile for 'nogui'.
>
> Is there some 'trick' possible to avoid this? Or do I have to split up
> some packages so it has a design-time and a run-time part? (Making
> maintenance and installation more difficult for new users?)

You should always do so ? This is also true in Delphi as of version 6.
I think it is good to force users to separate design and run-time code.

I would even go so far as to forbid the dependency of a run-time package on
a design-time package if the latter depends on the IDE interface package.

Michael.