[Lazarus] Mac App bundle question

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Jan 13 18:05:26 CET 2011

Since I am not an expert, a quick question regarding app bundles:

It is always mentioned that without, any app will behave less than
pleasant...

I understand (or I believe I do) that if you start an app (from the
desktop) you click the bundle.

But if an app is started from a shell, then it seems one can start the
executable inside the bundle?
   ./lazarus.app/Content/MacOs/lazarus
Will that run a misbehaving app, since it refers to the exe, and maybe
not the bundle, or will the bundle be used?

I am asking, because if the above tick does start the app normally (as
if the bundle was started), then it could be checked if the macports gdb
is usable for development.
Since some people reported problems using the gdb supplied by apple
(mostly people with intel 64 bit, debugging 32 bit carbon app)

I do not yet know if the macports gdb is any good.
But previous tests showed that unlike the apple supplied one, it fails
to start the app, if it is given the name of the bundle
   apple-gdb  ./lazarus-app   => works
   macports-gdb  ./lazarus-app   => fails

but maybe
   macports-gdb   ./lazarus.app/Content/MacOs/lazarus
can be used?