[Lazarus] fpGUI for the LCL on x86 Linux, and standalone on SPARC Solaris 10

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 15:24:00 CET 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 22:29 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I've got one Solaris 8 and one Solaris 10 development system, I'm
>> currently backporting FPC onto 8 (works, but haven't proven it can
>> compile itself). I might go looking for (Open)Solaris 11, but at present
>
> I google'ed Solaris and OpenSolaris and read a bit out it, and indeed it
> does look like OpenSalaris is currently in limbo. Anyway, I'll download
> the last available CD image for x86, and just give fpGUI a go on that.
> Maybe I can reduce some of the work you would need to get it 100% under
> SPARC Solaris.

If you could sort out the UTF-8, text and icon issues then it would
probably be good for at least Solaris 8 through 10. Jonas tells me that
be runs regressions on 9, I've now got the FPC compiler self-building on
8 (haven't tried Lazarus or the text IDE).

Solaris 8 is arguably still significant since it was the last version
that supported some of the classic hardware- sun4d (SPARCserver etc.),
x86 PCI cards, possibly some of the high-performance graphics. Solaris
11 probably has more precompiled libraries (sunfreeware.com etc.) which
I think will make it a prerequisite for Lazarus.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk