[Lazarus] What are "widgets" in lazarus?

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Sun Jan 9 15:45:43 CET 2011

On Jan 9, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Zaher Dirkey wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
> 2011/1/9 Zaher Dirkey <parmaja at gmail.com>:
>
> If you not use it, would you please make it as an option (new Platform).
>
> Yes, it will definitely be a new "platform". fpGUI would then have eg:
> GDI, X11, SDL etc. as backends.
>
> I think it makes more sense to skip SDL and directly use the linux framebuffer.
> Eliminate a layer. You already have direct support for all other 'platforms' that SDL supports, so why add another (changing) dependency/point of failure?
> It may be initially harder, but will prove easier to maintain in the long run.
>

> It is for games, like The Mana World, have dialogs for options and login, we can use both SDL and show some forms.

This is also the reason why I started on a GLut/OpenGL backend for fpGUI. In the last weeks it has reached a point that some examples already work perfectly. Also I have done some preliminary tests on Mac and Linux (primary developing on Win32) which indicate it should run there without any issues. What still needs to be done it to analyze why certain widgets are not drawn correctly (fixing the backend and some subtle bugs in the core lib), fixing font drawing (which seems to have some major issues) and finally cleaning everything up.

I'm doing the development work on: svn://scandraid.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scandraid/src/branches/fpgui/

Regards, Darius