[Lazarus] fpGUIx

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jan 12 17:28:37 CET 2011

On 01/12/2011 05:04 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Looks like I will be dead and burnt before that happens.
> (in which case I will care little one way or the other - luckily)

I did many days of research on that issue once when we (company) really
intended to use FPC/Lazarus in an embedded design. Right now these
efforts are on hold, as the "Delphi team" right now is not very
interested in starting to port their stuff to Linux. So I just hope to
be helpful with some testing and providing my research results when
possibly appropriate,

 From my researches I do know that the Widget set code is very complex
and distributed in many places of the source tree, thus it's not a good
Idea for a newcomer to try to restructure it.

OTOH, now that I finally have been able to get Lazarus up and running
(nearly nicely) I might be able to take a deeper look in what is
happening, but I will not dedicate much pointless research effort in
order to create a patch that will anyway be rejected due to the
political decision that we will not dare to do a change to all Widget
sets and risk that something will be broken in one of them, even if it
runs with some others. (Even though exactly this is the current state as
we just saw.) And I am not able to do any tests with the Mac based
implementations, anyway.

So maybe fpGUI could be a starting point for the move, as it seems to
feature the fewest dependencies on external and legacy stuff. Moreover
it's still bleeding edge anyway and Graeme seems to be interested in
these issues, so my research results and suggestions might be not
completely in vain,.

-Michael