[Lazarus] fpGUIx

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Jan 12 17:46:05 CET 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 01/12/2011 05:04 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> Looks like I will be dead and burnt before that happens.
>> (in which case I will care little one way or the other - luckily)
>>
> I did many days of research on that issue once when we (company) really
> intended to use FPC/Lazarus in an embedded design. Right now these efforts
> are on hold, as the "Delphi team" right now is not very interested in
> starting to port their stuff to Linux. So I just hope to be helpful with some
> testing and providing my research results when possibly appropriate,
>
> From my researches I do know that the Widget set code is very complex and
> distributed in many places of the source tree, thus it's not a good Idea for
> a newcomer to try to restructure it.
>
> OTOH, now that I finally have been able to get Lazarus up and running (nearly
> nicely) I might be able to take a deeper look in what is happening, but I
> will not dedicate much pointless research effort in order to create a patch
> that will anyway be rejected due to the political decision that we will not
> dare to do a change to all Widget sets and risk that something will be broken
> in one of them, even if it runs with some others. (Even though exactly this
> is the current state as we just saw.) And I am not able to do any tests with
> the Mac based implementations, anyway.
>
> So maybe fpGUI could be a starting point for the move, as it seems to feature
> the fewest dependencies on external and legacy stuff. Moreover it's still
> bleeding edge anyway and Graeme seems to be interested in these issues, so my
> research results and suggestions might be not completely in vain,.

You have said this before.

But this does not alter the fact that you want to implement a message queue that
does not depend on a GUI. From this it inevitably follows that you don't need to
wait for Graeme, Lazarus, mseIDE or any other team.

Whether or not your queue will be used is not relevant to the matter:
YOU would presumably use it, since you seem to have an interest ?

Once implemented, maybe we could be convinced that such an approach may bear
fruits. An implementation works - or not, but at least we'll know then.
As it is, it is just idle talk and opposing opinions.

You don't honestly expect sceptical people to invest time and work in such a scheme ?
That's not how it works. People need a convincer. Repeatedly stating "this
or that is better" gets you nowhere. An actual implementation, on the other
hand, might.

Your refusal to come up an implementation that works is strange (to put it mildly)
and certainly does not encourage anyone to believe or trust your opinion(s).

Michael.