[Lazarus] fpGUI

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 22:00:13 CET 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 19:49 +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> For example TStrings.Data.

I've never used that before... I'll read up on what that property does
or mean.

> That's ok for your personal needs.
> But when discussing pascal stream on this lazarus list, you have to
> come up with a solution for common needs.

Personal needs always come first - even in the Lazarus project. I was
told that many times here. :)

> One of the fancy features are component editors, allowing to do many
> things with a few mouse clicks.

Component editors or property editors? If the first, can you explain
more. I just loaded Lazarus, started a LCL project and then started
dropping component on the form. Which components have "component editor"
support, and what fancy features? I searched the wiki and found the
"Extending the IDE" page mentioning Component Editors, but doesn't give
concrete examples of what they can do.

If you meant property editors well... those default editors for
collection/item etc... They are quite horrible to use, even under
Delphi. Just the other day I used tiOPF's MGM design time support that
Michael introduced. It uses the default collection/item editors. It was
awful and I couldn't localize the text properties of the items because
they were stored only in the lfm files (nowhere in my *.pas unit). I
went straight back to instantiating my mediators via code templates and
resource strings.

But if you talk about more customized property editors, then yes many
things could be done quick and easy with a few mouse clicks. Even
fpGUI's ui designer has customized property editors for just that
reason.

 - Graeme -