[Lazarus] fpGUI

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Jan 16 23:22:51 CET 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:00:13 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 19:49 +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > For example TStrings.Data.
>
> I've never used that before... I'll read up on what that property does
> or mean.
>

> > That's ok for your personal needs.
> > But when discussing pascal stream on this lazarus list, you have to
> > come up with a solution for common needs.
>
> Personal needs always come first - even in the Lazarus project. I was
> told that many times here. :)
>

> > One of the fancy features are component editors, allowing to do many
> > things with a few mouse clicks.
>
> Component editors or property editors?

Both.

> If the first, can you explain
> more. I just loaded Lazarus, started a LCL project and then started
> dropping component on the form. Which components have "component editor"
> support, and what fancy features? I searched the wiki and found the
> "Extending the IDE" page mentioning Component Editors, but doesn't give
> concrete examples of what they can do.

Property editors are for rows in the object inspector. Component
editors are for menu items in the designer. Some share code.

> If you meant property editors well... those default editors for
> collection/item etc... They are quite horrible to use, even under
> Delphi. Just the other day I used tiOPF's MGM design time support that
> Michael introduced. It uses the default collection/item editors. It was
> awful and I couldn't localize the text properties of the items because
> they were stored only in the lfm files (nowhere in my *.pas unit). I
> went straight back to instantiating my mediators via code templates and
> resource strings.

Yes, translating collection items needs improvement. There is already a
bug report.
I didn't tried the tiOPF's MGM, so I can't say how to do it better.

> But if you talk about more customized property editors, then yes many
> things could be done quick and easy with a few mouse clicks. Even
> fpGUI's ui designer has customized property editors for just that
> reason.

I will start another thread.

Mattias