[Lazarus] "Select another LCL Widget Set"

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Jan 27 17:45:05 CET 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:07:09 +0100
Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

> On 01/27/2011 04:38 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> >
> > GUI-free is not the goal of the LCL.
> Meaning that embedded applications is not the goal of Lazarus.

GUI free embedded applications are not the goal of the LCL - the
Lazarus component library.
Of course it is goal of the Lazarus IDE to help creating embedded
applications written with FPC.

> This would be a very sad decision, regarding that Lazarus (other than
> Delphi) is able to create application for small embedded devices e .g.
> based on Linux and ARM.
> > I kindly ask you to put the main contribution for non gui code to the
> > FCL and keep additions to the nogui widgetset at a minimum.
> I (partly) disagree, as currently several event queue implementations
> are provided in the LCL. Of course it would be best to move those parts
> of them that can be based on the same code, out of the LCL and into the
> FCP. but as discussed already several times I don't have any hope that
> this can be done (due to political reasons).

IMHO this and many other threads about this topic gave another
conclusion: Those who needs it don't want to do it.

> The second best ways to go would be to enhance the existing Widget Types
> (e.g. noGUI) or provide new ones.
> > I will add an empty value.
> Great.

On a second thought:
If a macro is defined, then the IDE should use it. The list contains
the valid values.
I will add a note that to use the default you should delete the macro
from the list.

> And auto select the default ..... :)

Mattias