[Lazarus] Frames etc. problems

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 18:38:12 CEST 2011

In working with an frame I get any number of errors :-(
[Win32]

It looks to me as if the (main) form resource is not updated properly,
at the right time:

1) Frame.alClient (alLeft...) is not really honored. The frame is marked
as occupying the according space in the container form, but its
components are not (always) resized.

2) An event handler, implemented in the frame and added to one of its
components, cannot be set when the form is loaded. The .lfm contains
only the method name, perhaps the object name is missing?

3) Sometimes it helps to remove the frames, and to add them again, but
not always.

4) Events seem to be triggered while the frame is *loaded*.

Some more bugs, with components inside the frame:

5) Clearing a combobox.Text doesn't work, at runtime the control always
contains its Name.

6) How to use an DirectoryEdit?

Which is the right event to use for reacting after the user has choosen
a directory? I tried EditingDone, but this event is triggered already
when the component is loaded[4].

Can the dialog be opened by code?

And a last question: what's the preferred procedure for scanning a
directory? FindFirstFile etc. look a bit window-ish to me.

DoDi