[Lazarus] FPDoc tracker

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jul 16 12:49:39 CEST 2011

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:
>
>>> A "raw text" output (without attributes) would be helpful, in addition to
>>> HTML etc. formats.
>>
>> A text output format exists.
>
> Ah, I didn't notice that.

I will update the documentation so it lists the available output formats.
at least RTF, man, plain text and IPF are currently not described.

>> I think you should use attributes instead of tags. fpdoc is not very
>> forgiving of 'unknown' tags. It does not care so much about attributes,
>> though.
>
> Good to know :-)
>

>>> BTW do there exist intentions to extend the XML files for e.g. multiple
>>> languages? When all versions can co-exist in one file, it would be much
>>> easier to track modifications, and to find consequently affected text.
>>
>> The original idea was to add a 'language' attribute to the <element> tag.
>> Thus allowing multiple elements with the same name, but different
>> languages. The '--language' command-line option would then be used to
>> select the correct tag.
>> However, I never got round to implementing it.
>
> Can namespaces serve the same purpose?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean ?

If you're talking about XML namespaces, forget it. Way too complicated and bloated.
But maybe you meant something else?

>> Experience with the FPC website shows that chances of having multi-language
>> documentation are virtually 0. Basically, I think the FPC/Lazarus community
>> is too small for the effort it takes.
>
> Well, the community might grow when there exists better and nationalized
> documentation.

I seriously doubt that, but hope springs eternal, of course :-)

> IMO the procedures and tools for improving the FPDoc
> documentation are not well known, and translations make no sense without the
> multi-language display feature :-(

Well, we all know pascal, the sources are there. I also had to learn it by diving in,
because I inherited the project from its original author.

Michael.