[Lazarus] Problem with SQLite commit in Lazarus

Howard Lee Harkness howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 23:28:54 CEST 2011

For now, I have a fairly ugly workaround, since I have another more
important task to finish:

The performance of the SQLite database is very poor. I was able to
speed it up a bit by putting indices on most of the commonly-search
columns on the main table, but it's still about 20 to 30 times slower
than the PostgreSQL version that I am replacing. As I slowly get back
up to speed in Lazarus (it's been 3 years since I wrote the last
iteration), it occurs to me that I may need some more sophisticated
tools than I currently have. I also see that the current version of
Lazarus made several subtle changes to the IDE, and I can't even find
the way to get the stack trace anymore. Probably nothing that can't be
solved with sufficient time and effort, but I was really hoping this
migration would be a lot easier.

Is there some way that I can get SQLite to just read all of the tables
into memory during the run of the program? Surely that would speed
things up.

2011/7/27 Max Vlasov <max.vlasov at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Howard Lee Harkness
> <howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am guessing that I am missing some basic detail in the setup
>> somewhere, or not understanding some subtlety in the operation of
>> SQLite. I would greatly appreciate somebody sending me a clue on how
>> to deal with this. TIA!
>> --
>

> Howard, looking at the file
> \fpc\\source\packages\fcl-db\src\sqldb\sqlite\sqlite3conn.pp
> I suggest you to set breakpoints in StartdbTransaction and CommitRetaining
> and look at the call stack for the place that starts and ends the
> transaction without your intervention. The only problem could be the fpc
> sources usually compiled without debug info, don't know whether this
> applicable to fpc packages.
>
> Max
>
> --

Howard Lee Harkness