[Lazarus] More explorations with tiOPF

Rich Saunders saunders.richard.p at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:38:15 CET 2011

On 3/15/11 11:15 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> - Firebird embedded does not work in virtual machines when the DB is on
>> a network mapped drive. I have tested VMWare, Virtual Box and Virtual
> > PC. (This can also be a plus since I use this fact to inhibit one of
> > my apps to be run from a virtual box.)
>
> I can't comment on this, but I can't see why not, if you for example
> under Windows map the network share to a permanent drive letter. We
> have done this with MS Access (.mdb database) for years. And MS Access
> is a local database only system too. The other point being, if you
> database needs to live on a remote location, why not simply switch to
> Firebird RDBMS server - get the full multi-user treatment for free.

Firebird developers discovered long ago that file integrity is difficult
to maintain when multiple programs access files across network
connections and a wide variety of networking clients are used.
Therefore, to avoid random issues that would be mistakenly attributed to
Firebird, and especially to avoid corrupted databases resulting from the
networking layer's failures, they have long prohibited Firebird
databases from being located in remote locations.

However, the most recent versions allow for an override in the Firebird
config file so you can actually do this as long as you take FULL
responsibility for the results.