[Lazarus] More explorations with tiOPF

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:18:55 CET 2011

Op 2011-03-15 17:38, Rich Saunders het geskryf:
> Firebird developers discovered long ago that file integrity is difficult
> to maintain when multiple programs access files across network
> connections and a wide variety of networking clients are used.

I fully agree with this. And it applies to any "single user" database
file. Firebird, Sqlite, MS-Access, csv, tab, ini, TDBF etc...

> Therefore, to avoid random issues that would be mistakenly attributed to

A valid enough reason, especially considering that they do offer a full
blown SQL database server too - with no extra charge.

> Firebird, and especially to avoid corrupted databases resulting from the
> networking layer's failures, they have long prohibited Firebird
> databases from being located in remote locations.

The exact same things applies to MS-Access, and yes we have such
installs in over 1000 clients and have to live with the corrupt database
issues for a little while longer [we already suffered for 12 years with
this]... The new version of our application now uses a Firebird DB
server instead. Thank goodness! :)

But just like MS-Access, I am pretty sure you can "fool" Firebird
Embedded by mapping a share to a drive letter (if you are under
Windows), or mount an NFS share as part of your local filesystem (if you
are under Linux), and Firebird Embedded will not be the wiser.... But
yes, you still have to live with the limitations included in any single
user database file.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/