[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Mar 30 15:41:57 CEST 2011

On 30/03/2011 12:16, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:
>
>>> IMO the IDE should look for a configuration in the current (EXE)
>>> directory first, and only into the common directory when no config
>>> can be found there.
>>
>> Well, definitely not on Unix. On unix, the EXE directory should never
>> contain config files.
>
> I dare to disagree. A SVN checkout is writeable, and this is where the
> EXE is stored, along with the related source files. Consequently the
> config should be stored there as well.
>
> You seem to think of a standard Lazarus installation in some protected
> directory. In this case it should do no harm when that directory does
> *not* contain any config, whereupon the IDE will search other places.

But that is only where to search:
- That is: IF there was a config in the local director, then yes maybe
it would be good to use this local config
- Except: people who had lazarus for a long time, and kept upgrading,
may still have an old 0.9.24 config there => and that may be very
outdated, so that would not be good either.

It doesn't solve the problem for newbies.
An SVN checkout has no config files in the beginning.

So if the IDE starts without any config file (let's assume, there are
none in the default location either); then the IDE must decide where to
create them.
And that is in the default location.
Defining some rule where new config will be autocreated, sometimes here,
sometimes there... IMHO the worst idea ever...

So, even if the IDE was scanning the local dir first, users who want 2
or more installs would have to know that they must hand-create (or
otherwise force) this local config before they use the 2nd install.
(currently it is knowing the --pcp switch).
Either ways, users who do not know, will be in trouble...

Martin