[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 17:29:07 CEST 2011

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>>     Where does the IDE look for the configuration?
>>

> If no --pcp is given it uses
>
> Under windows:
>
> PrimaryConfigPath:=
> ExtractFilePath(ChompPathDelim(SysToUTF8(GetAppConfigDir(False)))) +
> 'lazarus';
>
> all other:
>
> ~/.lazarus

This will be the common configuration, that only can apply to *one*
installation. As long as we consider only that single installation,
*everything* is acceptable for the config path.

> If no --lazarus-dir option is given the Lazarus source directory is
> taken from the environmentoptions.xml.
>
> If there is no environmentoptions.xml it is copied from the secondary
> config directory.
>
> The default for the Lazarus directory is under windows:
>
> DefaultDrive + '\lazarus';
>
> all other:
>
> The IDE searches in a list of common directories.

What's the purpose of specifying a Lazarus directory, other than the one
with the IDE?

IOW is there a purpose for specifying a Lazarus directory other than the
one with the IDE?

If not, that directory must not be stored anywhere, making a single
configuration usable with multiple installations, and every installation
uses its EXE path for the Lazarus directory. That's perfectly compatible
with the commandline (make all...).

> Each distribution/installer adds some gory details. For example to
> explain all the paths of the debian packages would require at least one
> wiki page on its own.
>
> The basic Lazarus setup is pretty simple, but you can do it arbitrarily
> complicated.

Why do you see complications all around? What's so complicated in
removing the "Lazarus directory" entry from the stored entries, and
replacing it (at IDE start) with the EXE directory?

>>     Is it sufficient to have a MyLazarus\cfg\ directory, to make the
>>     MyLazarus\Lazarus.exe use the configuration in that directory?
>>

> I'm not an expert for the windows installer, but the IDE sources do not
> mention 'cfg'. I guess "cfg" is not used.

Okay, name it as you like. The config directory name only must not
conflict with any name in a Lazarus directory.

>>     IMO the IDE should look for a configuration in the current (EXE)
>>     directory first,
>>

> ... which might be read only and therefore only contains the defaults,
> not the user settings.

In which case the IDE is free to look somewhere else. All I want is
stopping the IDE from looking somewhere else, when the EXE directory
contains a config directory (of a name to be specified). Is that so hard
to understand?

DoDi