[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Mar 30 17:05:57 CEST 2011

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> hat am 30. März 2011 um 17:29
geschrieben:

>[...]
> What's the purpose of specifying a Lazarus directory, other than the one
> with the IDE?
I guess, with 'IDE' you mean the lazarus executable.
This executable may be in the config directory, when the Lazarus directory
itself was not writable.
And you can debug the IDE with another IDE.

>[...]
> Why do you see complications all around? What's so complicated in
> removing the "Lazarus directory" entry from the stored entries, and
> replacing it (at IDE start) with the EXE directory?
Removing options is always easy for the implementor, but not for the users.

Felipe gave a simple solution.

>[...]
> >>     IMO the IDE should look for a configuration in the current (EXE)
> >>     directory first,
> >>

> > ... which might be read only and therefore only contains the defaults,
> > not the user settings.
>
> In which case the IDE is free to look somewhere else. All I want is
> stopping the IDE from looking somewhere else, when the EXE directory
> contains a config directory (of a name to be specified). Is that so hard
> to understand?
No, no, it's easy to understand. You want something existing except for some
part. You have a different opinion about the defaults.

Mattias