[Lazarus] LCL not in build profiles ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon May 23 20:48:04 CEST 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2011 16:05:24 +0200 (CEST)
> michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a reason why the LCL is no longer part of the items in the build
>> profiles ?
>
> The LCL is now a normal package. No need for a special dialog.
>

>> I'd like to have a build profile where I tell the IDE to recompile the
>> FCL/LCLBase/LCL packages as part of the build process.
>>
>> As it is now, I must manually recompile clean FCL/LCLBase/LCL before I can
>> rebuild lazarus. (after e.g. the FCL or RTL has changed)
>
> Yes, that is unpleasant.
>
> The IDE does not check on every compile the near 1000 units of FPC,
> because that would be very slow and these units change seldom.

Well, with me they do (for obvious reasons ;) )

> I will implement a similar caching as the compiler uses. Hopefully
> this is fast enough. Till then you can use the workarounds:
>
> a) Open package FCL and click compile. Because almost all packages
> depend on that package the others will be recompiled automatically when
> needed.

Well, this is what I do now. But all this does not explain why you simply
don't provide the option 'rebuild all packages' in the 'build' dialog of
the IDE. It's just a checkbox, after all.

I don't like to depend exclusively on 'automated' mechanisms.
They must be there, I won't argue about that, but I always
want a manual override. This manual override used to be there,
now it is gone. From my point of view, this is a step backwards.

Well, no great matter.

Michael.