[Lazarus] Mac OS X Carbon: Non-standard characters (umlaute) shown as question marks ?

fred f ffred69 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 08:33:42 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

My project is encoded in UTF-8 and when I build up some text which
contains non-standard ASCII characters like "üäößáťčš" then e.g.
TLabel shows the umlaute as question mark.
The strange is, that when I assign some text without concatenation as:

Label12.Caption := 'My umlaute text üöäßčľíá';

it works, but then I need to build up a text based on some function +
static text as:

Label12.Caption := 'My umlaute ' + GetTextFunction + 't üöäßčľíá';

it doesn't work!

Of course my source code is encoded in UTF-8 and the used functions
return "string" and the compiler option doesn't have checked the
option "-Sh" - use ansi strings.

Second strange thing is, that it happens on Mac OS X Carbon. When
using GTK2 no problem is shown from the same sources.

Thanks.

ff.