[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 21:42:36 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:
> But you have to manually (or semi-automatically) do it, which is a lot of
> work and possibly error prone.
> While, with utf-16, you shouldn't change any routine name at all, unless you
> have to deal with characters outside the BMP.

You say so, but while I cannot comment with certainty since I have
never used the Unicode Delphi, from what I read people had major
difficulties doing the migration. It was not at all easy. While for me
the migration from ansi to utf-8 was trivially easy.

Changing the size of Char is not just small detail, this breaks *a
lot* of code. Any kind of memory operations such as Move will fail
because the char size changed.

Not to mention people that were using PChar to address memory which is
not really a string =D suddenly the steps duplicate in size and your
whole memory layout changes...

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho