[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Sep 13 00:12:19 CEST 2011

cced to lazarus list. please switch list.

On 12/09/2011 21:28, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Martin schrieb:
>
>> Mind, I do NOT want to play down say that the lack of property support.
>
> I didn't notice until now that my problems may be related to
> properties. AFAIR I also couldn't inspect global variables. I'll watch
> out when debugging the next time.

If that is the case, then your problem lays elsewhere, and maybe it can
be remedied by config....
I do not recall having ever had an issue with globals, nor local vars.
Maybe you have some units, that are not compiled with debug info, like
in packages?

About hints:
- yes they can overflow. A selectable/scrollable hint window is planned
- yes they are badly formatted. But the info is there.

I latest trunks, hint display the data according to the class of the
instance, not the declaration

Sender: TObject
if it contains a TForm, you see all the data (except what gets cut off)

UPS:
hints in trunk have a few other bugs => not debug related

- without TurbuPowerIProDSgn (mo html hint) they do close, triggered  by
their own opening action, if they have large content => this is a hint
issue, that happens outside debugging too
- with TurbuPowerIProDSgn they just keep crashing....

So testing the debugger for hints is a bit limited due to other bugs;
sorry about that

> WRT inspecting properties I'd be happy with the content of the fields,
> where a property value is stored, e.g. TControl.FBoundsRect for Left
> or Right. Calling getter methods can be dangerous, I wouldn't expect
> such support. Again I only realize right now, that such a feature may
> require an hint in code, which property is stored or derived from
> which stored field.

make sure you use dwarf

-gw

also make sure under "extra options" you add -godwarfsets  otherwise set
types may not work .
(ok, the ide should probably make that more automated...)