[Lazarus] MS Access file - is it 'accessible' concurrently ?

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Wed Sep 7 18:00:35 CEST 2011

----- "Lukasz Sokol" <el.es.cr at gmail.com> schreef:

> Hi Group,
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/ODBCConn
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/MS_Access
>
> do not contain this information :
>
> Can I open the same database and access (read/write)
> the same (few) table(s) from 2 or more concurrently
> running programs (written in Lazarus of course) using
> the MDB (MS Office Access) as the underlying file?
>
> Or will I need (MS) (SQL) Server?
>
> Pointers welcome :)

Access ALWAYS was intended for non-concurrent access (pun intended :-))!

When you want to use concurrent access, you should use MS SQL if you want to stay in the same/similar dialect/syntax realm.

The problem stems in part from the fact that it is an embedded DB engine (even if over ODBC) as opposed to a dedicated, dispatching and mitigating server in a client/server setting that handles the concurrency issues.

kind regards,
Dimitri Smits