[Lazarus] MS Access file - is it 'accessible' concurrently ?

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:16:44 CEST 2011

On 07/09/2011 17:00, Dimitri Smits wrote:

> Access ALWAYS was intended for non-concurrent access (pun intended
> :-))!

Yeah, good one, just like I thought... :)

> When you want to use concurrent access, you should use MS SQL if you
> want to stay in the same/similar dialect/syntax realm.

Hmm, not really, this isn't _really_ needed.

> The problem stems in part from the fact that it is an embedded DB
> engine (even if over ODBC) as opposed to a dedicated, dispatching and
> mitigating server in a client/server setting that handles the
> concurrency issues.

I see.

Hence my plan would rather be - because the mdb file comes from older version
of the system which I'd rather preserve in whatever shape it is, for
backwards compatibility, the 'logic' will be connecting to it, reading configs etc.

And for feeds <-> logic traffic, I'll use separate database (with a Server)...
If that works OK, I'd have less problems migrating from mdb into the Server later :)

Thanks,
Lukasz